English Language Learning
The Division of English Language Learning (DELL) of the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) provides various professional development resources related ELLs to meet the needs of districts, schools, and educators serving ELLs in the State of Illinois.
Professional Development Opportunities At-A-Glance
Program Directors’ Meeting - September 2013(Click here to view archived agendas and presentations.)
The Annual Fall Bilingual Program Directors’ Meeting was held September 25-26, 2013 - in Lisle, Illinois.
New Leadership Academy - August 2013(Click here to view archived agendas and presentations.)
The New Leadership Academy was held August 6-7, 2013 in Springfield. It was geared to support English Learner Program (EL) Directors and Administrators who are new to the field or who have been working with the EL program for a small number of years.
2012 was the inaugural year for the Leadership Institute and the event was a great success. Aligned with attendee feedback, presentation topics dealt with the challenges of, and considerations for, working with EL students. We also highlighted program design; resources for administrators, English learners and Special Education; and reviewed the general program administration with regard to state and federal requirements, program timelines and procedures and more.
- For a complete a listing of the workshops that are offered for FY2014 refer to http://www.thecenterweb.org/irc/pdf/isbe-calendar-fy14.pdf. If the workshop you are interested in is no longer being offered, please let us know that you would be interested in attending future workshops on that topic. Also, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have suggestions regarding our professional development offerings.
Webinars and Presentations
ELL 101 Series
The webinars serve as an introduction for ELL and general education teachers, administrators, and program directors who are new to ELLs; or as a refresher for more experienced teachers, administrators, or program directors.
Two tutorials are available for ELL administrators: To access the webinar archive, visit the WIDA Download Library at http://www.wida.us/downloadLibrary.aspx. Scroll to the State/District Webinars section in the lower right corner, choose Illinois and click 'Show'. Once you expand that section you will see the following Illinois-specific webinars.
Archived webinars and powerpoint presentations. NCELA Webinars provide participants from around the country an opportunity to hear expert speakers present research on all aspects of ELL education
Spanish Language Development Webinars
Several webinars are offered focusing on the newly released Spanish Language Development (SLD) Standards for PreK - 12 and the PODER™ Spanish language development assessment for Kindergarten.
2013 Title III Program Budgeting and Planning for the LIPLEPS and Immigrant Education Programs - July 17, 2013
The Division of English Language Learning reviewed the conditions for the use of federal Title III funds as well as the required components of the Language Instruction Program for Limited English Proficient Students (LIPLEPS) and the Immigrant Education Program (IEP).
Preschool and English Learners
- Resources for Supporting Preschool English Language Learners
- Serving English Language Learners in Preschool Programs in Illinois Public School Districts FAQs
Special Education and English Learners
- RtI Guidance Document with ELL Considerations (2012)
- FAQ about Special Education Eligibility and Entitlement within the RtI Framework - Coming Soon!
- Serving English Language Learners with Disabilities—A Manual for Illinois Educators (2002)
Student Registration and Enrollment
- Section 228.27 Plan for Language Support Services
- Form for submitting Plan under Section 228.27
- Attachment 1 to Plan under Section 228.27
New English Language Proficiency Criteria, Released June 2013
Archived Program Directors' Meetings(agendas with presentation links)
Archived DELL New Leadership Academy Presentations
• 2013 Agenda with Presentation Links
• 2012 Presentations:
Archived Fiscal Resources
Archived ELP Standards