English Language Learning
Title III Accountability - Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA)
- For an orderly transition to the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA), which the President signed into law on December 10, 2015, States are not required to hold districts accountable for their performance against Title III AMAO 1, 2 and 3 under Title III of ESEA based on assessments administered in the 2014-2015 or 2015-2016 school years. Accordingly, States must freeze district accountability under Title III based on the most recent AMAO calculation. The Districts in IL will carry their Title III AMAO status made in 2014 and continue implementing the District Improvement plan (DIP) during the 2015-2016 and 2016-2017 school years. Districts can find the 2014 Title III AMAO status and the AMAO report under the Title III AMAOs and Determination tab below.
Please note, however, that all States and districts must continue to publish report cards for the 2014–2015 school year and beyond. Report cards must continue to include information that shows how a district’s student achievement on the State assessments compares to students and subgroups of students in the State as a whole. At the school level, the district must include information that shows how a school’s student achievement on the State assessments compares to students and subgroups of students in the district and in the State as a whole.
- The 2014 Title III Annual Measurable Achievement Objectives (AMAOs) notification letter and report are available in IWAS under e-Report Card for school districts that received Title III funds in 2013-2014 school year. The school districts that did not meet the Title III AMAOs for last two (2013 and 2014) or three (2012, 2013 and 2014) consecutive years must submit a District Improvement Plan (DIP) by March 31, 2015 to ensure that the districts meet the AMAO targets. The districts that did not meet their Title III AMAOs for last four (2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014) or more consecutive years should address modifications of their ELL program, curriculum, and instruction in their plan. Districts are required to implement the plan during the 2014-2015 and 2015-2016 school year.
The DIP can be completed through either a Title III DIP template posted at http://www.isbe.net/bilingual/default.htm or the Rising Star platform at http://iirc.niu.edu. Districts can continue using the Rising Star indicators by logging into the myIIRC portal on the Illinois Interactive Report Card (IIRC). The 2014 Title III DIP submission guidance and resources are available under District Improvement Plan (DIP) below.
If you have any questions regarding your 2014 Title III AMAO calculation, please call Dr. Shuwan Chiu, Center for Performance, at 217-782-0354. Please contact Dr. Seon H. Eun, English Language Learning, at 312-814-3850 for any additional assistance related to Title III programs.
Title III AMAOs and Determinations (2/15)
- Title III AMAO Notification
District Improvement Plan (DIP) (2/15)
- Title III District Improvement Plan (DIP) Resources
Resources for Title III
- Legislation, Guidance and Research
- Notice of Proposed Interpretations regarding Title III of the ESEA
- Parent Notification Letters in 37 of the Highest Incident Languages
(Note: In order to view some of the languages, it is necessary to download the Asian fonts pack from Adobe Acrobat's website at http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/acrrasianfontpack.html.)
- Private School Guidance