Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 5:41 PM
To: Regional Superintendents and Special Education Directors District Superintendents
Subject: Illinois State Board of Education Veto Update 7-15-03

Good afternoon.

The State Board of Education met today to discuss the impact the Governor’s education budget vetoes will have on the agency’s ability to provide support and oversight of grant programs to Illinois school districts. You can read our news release from the meeting at:  http://www.isbe.net/news/2003/jul15-03.htm

The State Board has directed me to complete my analysis of the impact of the proposed cuts and give them two options: one which eliminates all the positions contemplated by the vetoes, and another that retains a number of those positions so that we can meet our statutory responsibilities for managing grant programs.

A special meeting of the board will be scheduled soon to decide what steps the agency will take to balance its budget.

Until the Board gives me final direction, it is impossible to tell you exactly what the impact of the cuts will be on local districts. As proposed, however, it is safe to say that administration of teacher certification, early childhood, GED and Administrator’s Academy would be significantly affected.

I will keep you fully informed as this matter progresses.

Robert Schiller

State Superintendent

of Education

statesup@isbe.net