Sent: Friday, January 16, 2004 2:52 PM
To: zzALL
Subject: Agency Message from Superintendent Schiller 1-16-04

Dear Colleagues,

The issue before us today - as it was yesterday, and it will be tomorrow ·  is simply, what is in the best interests of our 2.2 million school children served by the districts and schools.

So long as we are focused minute by minute, hour by hour, and day by day on that inescapable pledge, then our work is noble, vital, important, and for me, very much appreciated.

The ISBE, of which you are all a part, is under scrutiny and will be, as it always has been, criticized·sometimes fairly and accurately and sometimes unfairly and inaccurately.

I  will continue to represent my board and you, members of the agency, with dignity, intellectual honesty, and a dedication to my work and profession. 

I ask that you carry on your work with high standards and professionalism so that no one can level a charge against any of us of not fulfilling our responsibilities when faced with adversity.

I cannot predict what may unfold in the future in terms of the State Board or your status, but know that we should take personal and professional pride in whatever good works we do.

Should you wish to speak with me personally, please let me know.

Thank you.

Robert Schiller