ILLINOIS STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION
State Board of Education Meeting
via video conference
Wednesday, August 20, 2014
ISBE Video Conference Room, James R. Thompson Center
14th Floor, 100 W. Randolph, Chicago, IL
ISBE Video Conference Room, 3rd Floor
100 N. First Street, Springfield, IL
This meeting will also be audio cast on the Internet at: www.isbe.net
- Roll Call/Pledge of Allegiance
- Consideration of and Possible Actions on Any Requests for Participation in Meeting by Other Means
- Public Participation
- IBHE Liaison Report (Dr. Nandi)
- Resolutions and Recognition
- We Act and We Day Resolution
- Doris Edwards, 73 Years in Education, Beardstown Community Unit School District 15
- Presentations and Updates
- *Superintendent's Report – Consent Agenda
All action consideration items listed with an asterisk (*) are considered to be routine and will be enacted in one motion and vote. Any board member who wishes separate discussion on any item listed on the consent agenda may remove that item from the consent agenda, in which event, the item will be considered in its normal sequence.
- *Approval of Minutes:
- Plenary Minutes: June 18, 2014
- *Rules for Initial Review
- Part 1 (Public Schools Evaluation, Recognition and Supervision):
Responds to P.A. 98-506, effective August 27, 2013, which establishes the criteria for the receipt of the State Seal of Biliteracy, an optional designation that school districts may choose to award to students who demonstrate proficiency in both a foreign language and English.
- Part 375 (Student Records):
A technical change to remind school districts to designate on a student’s academic transcript, which is part of the student’s permanent record, his or her receipt of the State Seal of Biliteracy or the State Commendation Toward Biliteracy.
- Part 26 (Standards for Endorsements in Early Childhood Education and in Elementary Education):
Proposes new standards that articulate the knowledge and skills in several areas, including English language arts and mathematics, needed for receipt of the early childhood endorsement and to which educator preparation programs and content-area tests must align.
- *Rules for Adoption
- Part 50 (Evaluation of Certified Employees under Articles 24 and 34A of the School Code):
Modifies the process to be used to identify the school districts whose performance ranks them in the lowest 20 percent of all districts statewide; districts in this group are to implement performance evaluation systems incorporating measures of student growth starting September 1, 2015. One letter of public comment was received; no recommendations for changes in the proposal are being made as a result.
- Part 228 (Transitional Bilingual Education):
Makes several changes, including incorporation of English development standards for English learners in preschool programs; establishing flexibility for school districts to choose the prescribed screening instrument for English learners who are in the second semester of grade 1 or in grades 2 through 12; requiring that transitional programs of instruction include instruction in English as a second language; and modifying the deadline for teachers in preschool bilingual education programs to meet the requirements needed to be fully qualified to provide home language or English as a second language instruction. Twenty-three letters of public comment were received, and several recommendations for changes in the proposed amendments are being made as a result.
- *Contracts and Grants Over $1 Million
- Parent Mentor Grant
- Intergovernmental Agreement with University of Kansas Center for Research (KUCR) – Dynamic Learning Maps
- After School Matters Grant
- NASBE Dues – Membership Renewal 2015
- Election of Illinois Voting Delegate for NASBE Annual Conference & Business Meeting 2014
- NES Gifted Education Content-Area Test: Recommended Cut Score
- Appointment of State Educator Preparation Licensure Board Member
- Discussion Items
- District Oversight – Monthly Update (Superintendent Koch)
- Budget Update
- Other items for discussion
- Superintendent's/Senior Staff Announcements
- Chairman's Report
- Member Reports
- Information Items
- ISBE Fiscal & Administrative Monthly Reports (available online at http://isbe.net/board/fiscal_admin_rep.htm)
- Closed Session (as needed)
This meeting will be accessible to persons with disabilities. Persons planning to attend who need special accommodations should contact the Board office no later than the date prior to the meeting. Contact the Superintendent's office at the State Board of Education, Phone: 217-782-2221; TTY/TDD: 217-782-1900; Fax: 217-785-3972.
NOTE: Chairman Chico may call for a break in the meeting as necessary in order for the Board to go into closed session.