College and Career Readiness
- Gifted and Talented Children, Article 14A of the School Code [105 ILCS 5/Art. 14A]
- Twice-Exceptional Children, Section 22-50 of the School Code [105 ILCS 5/22-50]
- 23 Ill. Adm. Code 227 (Gifted Education)
- Please note the deadlines for educators who wish to receive the gifted education teacher endorsement under the grandfathering provisions:
- The gifted seminar must be completed by January 31, 2015. Receiving recognition as a gifted education seminar trainer must also occur by this date. The seminar may continue to be offered for professional development after January 31, but only seminars completed by January 31, 2015 can be used toward the endorsement.
- An application for gifted education teacher must be submitted in ELIS on or before February 1, 2015. Any application received after this date cannot be reviewed under the grandfathering provisions and such an individual must complete an Illinois state-approved gifted education program. (No institutions offer this program yet.)
- Endorsements may be added to an Illinois educator license when educators meet specific coursework and testing requirements. Two new endorsements relative to gifted education are described in Illinois Administrative Rule 25.100 (l):
Gifted Education Teacher Endorsement and Gifted Education Specialist Endorsement.
The Gifted Education Teacher endorsement may be used to provide instruction in a gifted education program, while the Gifted Education Specialist endorsement may be used to provide instruction to students and provide both technical assistance and professional development to other educators.
For more information please contact: