Requirements for Bilingual Approval
Persons seeking this approval must have a total of 18 semester hours of coursework required below and meet the other requirements:
- A valid professional Illinois teacher certificate.
- Bilingual clinical experience totaling 100 clock hours or three months teaching experience in bilingual programs.
- Successful completion of a language examination in the non-English language to be taught.
- Credits totaling 18 semester hours distributed among
the following course areas:
- Foundations of Bilingual Education
- Assessment of Bilingual Students
- Methods and Materials for Teaching Limited-English-Proficient Students in Bilingual Programs
- Cross-Cultural Studies for Teaching Limited-English-Proficient Students
- Methods and Materials for Teaching English as a Second Language.