Vocabulary Instruction and the Common Core
6-12th Grade English Teachers, Administrators, District and School Leaders
This workshop was held as part of a Summer Workshop Series facilitated by ISBE during the summer of 2012. This workshop consists of a PowerPoint presentation and handout materials. The workshop is designed to provide participants with not only an overview of effective vocabulary instruction as it is described by the Common Core State Standards, but to provide participants two different methods of academic vocabulary instruction.
Suggested Use for these Documents:
- Professional Development Coordinators may use these materials to inform and familiarize personnel with Academic Vocabulary instruction as it applies to the Common Core State Standards.
- Teachers may use this information to determine the academic vocabulary needed to be taught in their grade as well as strategies to explicitly teach academic vocabulary.
- PowerPoint: “Vocabulary Instruction and the Common Core”
- Slide notes (may be used as a guide for the presenter)
- Handouts One and Two
Send questions and comments to:
- Facilitator's Guide
- Vocabulary Workshop PowerPoint
- Handout 1: Building an Academic Vocabulary
- Handout 2: Building an Academic Vocabulary
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License