Title Grant Administration
Title I Part A — Targeted Assistance School Programs and Schoolwide Programs
The No Child Left Behind Act (NCLB) of 2001 authorizes two distinct program structures under Title I, Part A. They are targeted assistance school programs and schoolwide programs.
Schools with targeted assistance programs use Title I funds to provide supplemental instructional services for specific students who have been identified as failing, or most at risk of failing, to achieve academic proficiency.
In a Title I targeted assistance school, Title I funds may only be used to provide services to eligible students identified as having the greatest need for special assistance. Eligible students are students who are failing, or most at risk of failing, to meet the Illinois Learning Standards on the basis of multiple, educationally related, objective criteria.
Schools with schoolwide programs use Title I funds to implement comprehensive strategies for improving the educational program of the whole school in schools with 40% or more poverty to increase the achievement of all students, particularly at-risk students.
In a Title I schoolwide school, Title I funds may be used to provide services to any student.
No later than July 1, 2013, all schools transitioning to schoolwide will do their plan via Rising Star. Please visit our Title I, Part A Schoolwide Program Page for more information.
- Navigating Rising Star for Title I District & Schoolwide Plans (4/13)
- District Title I Plan Template (10/16)
- Understanding Title I Targeted Assistance and Schoolwide Programs - Technical Assistance (9/09)
- Ensuring Content Alignment: The Title I District Plan, Schoolwide & Targeted Assistance Programs, & the NCLB Consolidated Application (5/09)
- Schoolwide Plan Requirements and Rising Star Indicators Crosswalk
- Title I Schoolwide Plan Checklist
- At-a-Glance Components of Targeted Assistance School Programs
- At-a-Glance Components of Schoolwide Programs
- Targeted Assistance School Programs & Schoolwide Programs Crosswalk of Required Components
For technical assistance, please contact the Illinois State Board of Education, Division of Innovation & Improvement at 217-524-4832.