Illinois Learning Standards
Stage B - Physical Development
Students who meet the standard can demonstrate physical competency in individual and team sports, creative movement, and leisure and work-related activities.
- Recognize the safety factors associated with participating
in physical activities.
- Discuss cues that enhance the development of selected
- Demonstrate basic locomotor, non-locomotor, and manipulative
skills using developmentally appropriate form.
- Combine two or more locomotor and/or non-locomotor skills
in a sequence.
- Demonstrate an awareness of others while moving in general
and/or personal space.
Students who meet the standard can analyze various movement concepts and applications.
- Identify personal space.
- Demonstrate a combination of two simple weight bearing
and/or balance movements or activities.
- Distinguish between moving behind, ahead of, next to,
near to, over, under, on, through, beside.
- Participate in dodging/ fleeing activities in slower speeds
without running into others or objects.
Students who meet the standard can demonstrate knowledge of rules, safety and strategies during physical activity.
- Apply class rules, procedures, and safety practices.
- Choose between safe and unsafe practices/behaviors.
- Identify safety procedures when participating in a group
- Move with an awareness of others in general space.
Students who meet the standard know and can apply the principles and components of health-related fitness.
- Identify safe and unsafe exercise practices.
- Participate in health-related fitness activities.
- Identify activities that help improve health-related fitness.
- Identify activities that will change your heart rate.
- Discuss changes that take place in the body after physical
- List components of health-related fitness.
Students who meet the standard can assess individual fitness levels.
- Recall the immediate effects of exercise on the body.
- Match the components of health-related fitness to fitness
- Match Fitnessgram test items to health-related fitness
- Participate in health related fitness activity.
- Identify personal preferences related to physical activity.
Students who meet the standard can set goals based upon fitness data and develop, implement, and monitor an individual fitness improvement plan.
- Set goals based on fitness gram data with teacher guidance.
- Participate in teacher directed activities that can develop
health-related fitness goals.
- Discuss behavioral choices that impact wellness levels.
Students who meet the standard can demonstrate individual responsibility during group physical activities.
- Recall the class procedures followed for participation
in physical activity.
- Repeat the safety procedures followed when participating
in physical activity.
- Participate safely in physical activity.
- Choose between safe and unsafe practices and/or behavior.
- Follow directions when participating in physical activity.
- Perform independently when participating in a physical
- Complete a task when participating in physical activity.
Students who meet the standard can demonstrate cooperative skills during structured group physical activity.
- Repeat safety practices and/or behaviors when working
with a partner during physical activity.
- Demonstrate the ability to work cooperatively with a partner
or small group during physical activity.
- Complete a task when working with a partner or group with
some teacher intervention during physical activity.
Return to Physical Development & Health Classroom
Assessments and Performance Descriptors