Equal attention to Learning Supports is essential so that:
- Every student will demonstrate academic achievement and be prepared for success after high school;
- Every student will be supported by highly prepared and effective teachers and school leaders; and
- Every school will offer a safe and healthy learning environment for all students.
A Comprehensive System of Learning Supports:
- Promotes the necessary conditions for learning which includes:
- Addresses barriers to learning and teaching such as: bullying, disengagement, absenteeism, and behavioral health issues.
- Universal programming / primary promotion and prevention (Tier I);
- Targeted early intervention / secondary prevention (Tier II) and
- Intensive Individualized supports / tertiary prevention (Tier III).
- Identifying risk factors within the community;
- Identifying protective factors;
- Developing home-school-community partnerships;
- Utilizing data-based decision making to determine needs and gaps in resources/services;
- Unifying all direct efforts to promote necessary conditions for learning and address factors interfering with learning and teaching;
- Allocating/reallocating resources across schools, staff and instructional improvement;
- Taking advantage of natural opportunities to promote the academic, physical, social, emotional, and behavioral development of all; and
- Assessing how well your district/school promotes conditions for learning and addresses barriers to teaching and learning as part of your school improvement planning process.
- Rebuilding for Learning - Addressing Barriers to Learning and Teaching, and Re-engaging Students (Case Study-Gainesville City Schools, Georgia)