Quick Links

Educator Licensure

Advanced Degree

A professional development option for meeting renewal requirements for those who hold Standard or Master teaching certificates is to complete an advanced, education-related degree (master's degree, a doctoral degree, a certificate of advanced study, or an educational specialist).

An "education-related field" is defined as one related to the requirements for the early childhood, elementary, secondary, special or special preschool-age 21 certificate, the school service personnel certificate, the administrative certificate, or any endorsement available on any of these certificates pursuant to applicable rules of the State Board of Education or its policies related to certification in special education resulting from the federal lawsuit known as Corey H.

At least eight semester hours of graduate-level credit must be applicable towards earning a degree, certificate or endorsement in a teaching field.

The degree must be earned within the validity period of your certificate.

Evidence of Completion for Completing an Advanced Degree

Teachers must produce an official transcript and be able to indicate how the "eight-semester hour" requirement was met.