Out of State and Foreign Applicant Information
Illinois Licensure (4/22/16)
The Illinois State Board of Education issues the following types of licenses:
Professional Educator License (PEL) (4/22/16)
- Professional Educator License (PEL) Teaching Endorsement Requirements (4/16)
- Professional Educator License (PEL) Administrative Endorsement Requirements (4/16)
- Professional Educator License (PEL) School Support Personnel Endorsement Requirements (4/16)
- Pre-Approved Coursework for Cross Categorical Special Ed Methods, ESL/Bilingual Methods, Reading in the Content Area, and Reading Methods (4/16)
The links below detail the requirements for obtaining licensure in Illinois.
- Please visit the Illinois Licensure Testing System Website for information regarding test registration, test dates, fees, and study guides.
- Additional information for international applicants may be found in the FAQ document.
Before you apply for a license or an endorsement, please read this document. See what endorsements and grade ranges are available so you apply appropriately.
Requirements for Out of Country Applicants:
- Be prepared as an educator outside of the United States
- Meet all coursework and testing requirements
- Meet all other requirements detailed in Illinois statute and rules
- Be legally eligible for employment in the United States
Foreign educational credentials will need an evaluation converting them to equivalent American semester credits and courses. The course by course evaluation will need to specify which grade level you were prepared for as a teacher and the American degree equivalence of your foreign credentials.
We require the original foreign credential evaluation report and copies of your foreign documents made from the originals by your regional superintendent.
- Foreign Credential Evaluation Services (3/17/16)
For more information about the application process, registering your license, and an explanation of Illinois licensure terminology, please view the FAQ document. Please visit the Illinois Certification Testing System Website for information regarding test registration, test dates, fees, study guides, and much more!
- Still have questions? Please contact your Regional Office of Education
- ISBE Educator Licensure Division Contact Information: