Application Process for Short-Term Emergency Approval in Special Education(Updated 1/27/16)
Educators holding this approval are eligible to serve students with the following disabilities in grades K-12, regardless of the teaching license currently held: learning disabilities, social emotional disorders, mental retardation, physical disabilities, autism, and traumatic brain injuries. The approval is valid for three years, and before it expires, you should obtain the LBS I endorsement. If you already hold an LBS I endorsement or approval, you are not eligible for the short-term emergency approval.
- Submit an application online and pay the applicable fee (in required) in your Educator License Information System (ELIS) account.
- Complete ISBE form 73-86: Short-Term Emergency in Special Education
- Additional documentation* to be provided by the applicant:
- Documentation* to be provided by the employing district (public or non-public)
- Documentation* to be provided by the college/university:
- The Illinois State Board of Education will review the materials submitted and issue an endorsement or deficiency statement as appropriate. Should the request be disapproved, a detailed listing of all deficiencies will be generated.
*Documentation may be mailed to:
Illinois State Board of Education
Educator Licensure Division
100 N. First St.
Springfield, IL 62777