Middle School Coursework - After July
To add a middle school endorsement to a license, an applicant must complete six semester hours of middle school professional coursework in the following areas:
- 3 semester hours of coursework in middle school philosophy, curriculum, and instructional methods for designing and teaching developmentally appropriate programs in the middle grades, including content area reading instruction, and
- 3 semester hours of coursework in educational psychology focusing on the developmental characteristics of early adolescents and the role of the middle grade teacher in assessment, coordination, and referral of students to health and social services.
Below is a list of universities and courses that have been pre-approved.
- Illinois Universities A - F
- Illinois Universities G - L
- Illinois Universities M - Q
- Illinois Universities R - Z
- Out of State Universities
- The middle grade coursework must be completed at a 4 year teacher education institution unless a community college has an articulation agreement with the senior institution to accept their courses.
- Because coursework varies at different universities, please contact a teacher education institution to determine the specific courses offered to fulfill these requirements.
- Universities offer middle grades courses in varying approaches. Some universities offer specific, individual courses to meet the middle grades requirements. Others infuse the content throughout several courses; in this situation, all the courses will have to be taken to meet the requirement. The applicant should be certain to understand the approach taken by the university where the applicant has enrolled.