Nutrition and Wellness Programs
Food Allergy Guidelines
Per Public Act 96-0349, the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE), in conjunction with the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH), has released the Guidelines for Managing Life-Threatening Food Allergies in Illinois Schools. Each local school board is required to implement a policy based on these guidelines.
Guidelines for Managing Life-Threatening Food Allergies in Illinois Schools
The following list of forms, documents and information are included in the above guidelines. Please feel free to directly copy or modify to fit school or district needs.
- Constructive Classroom Rewards
- Emergency Action Plan
- Sample 504 Plan
- Sample Allergy History Form
- Sample Classroom Letter to Parents
- Sample Form for Modifying Meal (67-48)
- Sample Individual Health Care Plan (IHCP) Word Format PDF Format
- Sample Letter to Parent about 504 Plans/IHCP
- Additional Resources
- Nutrition Programs Division Accommodating Children with Special Dietary Needs
- Sample School District Policy for Managing Life-Threatening Food Allergies
A sample policy and administrative procedure are available through the Illinois Association of School Board’s Policy Reference Education Subscription Service (PRESS). These sample materials were included in Issue 73, August 2010 of PRESS, and have been mailed to all PRESS subscribers. The Illinois Association of School Boards (IASB) will also provide these samples complimentary to its member school boards and non-member school boards in Illinois that request them. To make a request for these samples, contact Anna Lovern at the IASB Springfield location at 217.528.9688 x1125 or email@example.com or Brian Kumpf at the IASB Lombard location at 630.629.3776 x1214 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- School Health Issues
- Sources for Food Allergy Training (2/14)
If you have questions, please contact Nutrition Programs Division at 800/545-7892 or email@example.com.