Nutrition and Wellness Programs
Monitoring and Review Information
Administrative Review Process
The Administrative Review is an assessment conducted by the Illinois State Board of Education(ISBE) of the School Food Authority’s (SFA) administration of the NSLP and SBP, and other school nutrition programs. The objectives of the Administrative Review are to determine whether the SFA meets program requirements, provide technical assistance, secure any needed corrective action, and assess fiscal action, if applicable.
ISBE must conduct Administrative Reviews of all SFAs participating in the NSLP and/or SBP at least once during each three-year review cycle period, provided that each SFA is reviewed at least once every 4 years.
- Administrative Review Checklist
- Dietary Specifications Assessment Tool
- Meal Compliance Assessment Tool
- Resource Management Assessment Tool
- Review Resource List
- School Meals Administrative Review Q & A
- Tentative List of SFAs to receive an Administrative Review in School Year 2015-16
This list is subject to revisions. Last update: Aug. 20, 2015
- USDA Administrative Review Guidance
- USDA Indirect Cost Guidance
Administrative Review Training Modules
- Administrative Review Process and Structure Module (11 minutes) – This module covers the layout and what to expect before, during and after the review. Please reference the following handouts: Administrative Review Checklist, Review Resource List, School Meals Administrative Q&A, and Tentative list of SFAs to receive an AR in School Year 14-15.
- Access and Reimbursement Module (40 minutes) – This module covers the areas of eligibility determination of meal benefits, benefit issuance document (i.e. master list of F/R), meal counting and claiming, CEP, and verification. Please reference the Review Resource List handout. ISBE also has pre-recorded webinars under our training resources for more detailed information covering these content areas.
- Nutritional Quality and Meal Pattern Module (28 minutes) – This module covers the areas of the meal pattern requirements and quantities, offer versus serve and dietary specifications. Please reference the following handouts: Review Resource List, Meal Compliance Assessment Tool and Dietary Specification Assessment Tool.
- General Program Compliance Module (18 minutes) – This module covers the following general requirements during the Administrative Review: Civil rights; On-site monitoring; Local wellness policy; Smart Snacks; Water access; Recordkeeping; Outreach for the SBP/SFSP and Food Service Management Companies. Please reference the following handouts: Administrative Review Checklist and Review Resource List.
- Other Child Nutrition Programs Module (11 minutes) – This module covers the following programs during the Administrative Review: After School Snack Program; Seamless Summer Option; Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program; and Special Milk Program. Please reference the following Review Resource List handout.