Nutrition and Wellness Programs
National School Lunch Program (NSLP)
Equipment Assistance Grant(s)
FY16 NSLP Equipment Assistance Grant
The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) has been authorized to provide grants to state agencies to provide equipment assistance to SFAs participating in the NSLP. The Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) is making Illinois’ awards of $950,534 available through this FY2016 NSLP Equipment Assistance Grant RFP. Funds allocated for this program are intended to assist SFAs in purchasing equipment to serve healthier meals that meet the updated meal patterns (with emphasis on more fruits and vegetables in school meals), improve food safety, and expand access.
FY16 NSLP Equipment Assistance Grant
- FY16 NSLP Equipment Grant Application – application period expired June 30, 2015
- FY16 NSLP Equipment Grant Awardees
FY15 NSLP Equipment Assistance Grant
FY10 NSLP Equipment Assistance Grant
In accordance with Section 7(a)(2) of the Child Nutrition Act of 1966 (42 U.S.C. 1776[a]), on October 1, 2009, the Secretary of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) received a one-time appropriation of $25,000,000 for equipment assistance to eligible school food authorities (SFA) participating in the National School Lunch Program (NSLP). Illinois has been allocated $902,953.
A School Food Authority (SFA) is eligible to apply for FY10 NSLP Equipment Assistance Grant if it:
did not receive an FY09 NSLP Equipment Assistance Grant under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA);and
has at least 50% of the enrolled students eligible for free and reduced-price meals.
FY09 American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA) NSLP Equipment Assistance Grants
Federal legislation, Public Law 111-5, The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA) was signed into law by President Obama on February 17, 2009. The ARRA provides a one-time appropriation to Illinois of $3,657,300 for grants to school food authorities (SFAs) participating in the National School Lunch Program (NSLP) for equipment assistance.
Information provided from the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) requires the funds be distributed to sponsors participating in the National School Lunch Program via a competitive grant process with priority given to sponsors for equipment for schools in which at least 50 percent of the students are eligible for free or reduced-priced meals.
For purposes of compliance with Section 511 of P.L. 101-166 (the “Stevens Amendment”), applicants are advised that 100 percent of the funds for the program are derived from federal sources. The total amount of federal funding involved was $3,657,300.
- NSLP Equipment Depreciation Guidance
- National Food Service Management Institute (NFSMI) Resource: Equipment Purchasing and Facility Design for School Nutrition Programs 2009
- National Food Service Management Institute (NFSMI) Resource: Food Service Equipment Guide 1999. This guide presents a decision making process and critical pathway approach to purchasing conventional food service production equipment.
- School Nutrition Association The CN Marketplace—a service targeted specifically to School Nutrition Association members which features valuable resource listings of current products and services for the foodservice industry.
- School Nutrition Foundation in partnership with Duke Manufacturing hosted a webinar (online web conference) entitled “Equipment Solutions: Plug into Profitability” in April 2009. To view a recording of this free webinar, visit their website at http://www.schoolnutrition.org/Content.aspx?id=11892.