Performance Evaluation Advisory Council (PEAC)
New Evaluation Systems Provide Illinois Educators Greater Support
In 2010, Gov. Pat Quinn signed the Performance Evaluation Reform Act (PERA), which requires all schools in Illinois to change how teachers’ and principals’ performance is measured. PERA requires districts to design and implement performance evaluation systems that assess teachers’ and principals’ professional skills as well as incorporate measures of student growth.
Teacher evaluation systems will provide clear descriptions of professional excellence so everyone understands what great teaching means. The evaluations will be based on standards of effective practice, with evaluators trained and pre-qualified to conduct observations, collect evidence and provide helpful, timely feedback. The new evaluations will add objectivity to a practice that almost universally was subjective.
In addition, student achievement will become a significant factor in every evaluation by the 2016-17 school year. Beginning Sept. 1, 2012, both teachers and administrators in all districts (even those that have not yet adopted new evaluation systems) must be rated using one of these four performance categories: Excellent, Proficient, Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory.
The Illinois Performance Evaluation Growth Through Learning Advisory Council (made up of stakeholders from across the state) came together to discuss communication regarding the teacher and principal evaluator training and changes that are occurring. Below are documents that will help communicate a consistent message and reflect the changes to teachers and principal evaluations.
Videos And Clips Of Teaching To Be Used For Professional Development With Pk-12 Staff
In response to districts asking for videos and resources can be used for staff development, the Preparation and Evaluation Division is collecting resources from the field that can be shared. The link above contains resources that have been submitted by our colleagues. Each resource links to videos of classroom teaching. These have not been vetted in terms of quality or alignment, but are merely a collection of resources to be used if applicable. We welcome any suggested resources you feel would be beneficial additions to this list.
- Professional Development Video Resources (3/13)
- PARCC Presentation Webinar (2/13) - Posted under the Presentations and Webinar Archive Tab!!
- PERA Implementation Guidance (2/13) - Posted under the Implementation Guidance for PERA Tab!
- PERA Student Growth Implementation Chart (12/12)
- PEAC Strategic Plan (draft as of 11/09/12)
- 13-1: Guidance on Using Illinois 5Essentials Survey Data in Principal Evaluation (2/13)
- 13-2: Guidance on Collecting Evidence of Teacher Practice Not Observable During Classroom Observations in Teacher Evaluation Systems (2-13)
- 13-3: Guidance on District Decision Making (2/13)
- 13-4: Guidebook on Student Learning Objectives for Type III Assessments (2/13)
- 13-5: Guidance on Student Learning Objectives in Teacher Evaluation: Fact Sheet (2/13)
- 13-6: Model Teacher Evaluation System - Measuring Student Growth Using Type III Assessments (2/13)
- 13-7: Guidance on Alignment of Three Factors in Principal Evaluation (2/13)
- 13-8: Guidance on Measuring Student Growth for First-Year Principals in Principal Evaluation Systems (2/13)
- 13-9: Model Teacher Evaluation System - Creating a Summative Rating (2/13)
- 13-10: Guidance on Creating Operating Guidelines for Student Growth Models in Teacher Evaluation Systems (2/13)
- 13-11: Guidance on Creating a Summative Rating in Teacher Evaluation Systems (2/13)
- 13-17: Guidance on Peer Evaluation in Teacher Evaluation Systems in Illinois
- Illinois Performance Evaluation Growth Through Learning Training and Assessment Communication Documents (Posted 8/23/12)
- Notice: November 1 was the deadline for completion of Modules 4 and 5 of the Principal Evaluation Training and Module 4 of the Teacher Evaluation Training.
- System Requirements
- Newsline Announcements: Growth Through Learning Illinois
- 10/05/12 Announcement — Module 2: Resources and Remediation Available for Teacher Evaluators
- 9/21/12 Annoucement — Updated Information on 3-day lockout period, Saturday help lines, and Participation Statistics
- The Framework for Teaching Evaluation Instrument by Charlotte Danielson FAQ’s (10/12)
- Illinois Performance Evaluation Growth Through Learning Program Test Results and Metrics (9/21/12)
- Notice to Principal Preparation Programs in Illinois (9/12)
- Teachscape Guidance on the Collaborative Use of FfTPS Videos (9/18/12)
- Evaluator Training Administrators Academy and Professional Development Information (9/13/12)
- Growth Through Learning Communication Documents Posted August 23, 2012
- Module 2 Reduction in the Mandatory Wait Period Before Retesting (8/17/12)
- Module 1 and Module 2 Retest Options for Illinois Evaluators (8/16/12)
- Module 2 Retest Option for Illinois Evaluators (8/9/12)
- Framework for Teaching (FtT) Proficiency Test: Test Design and Scoring Information - Teachscape, July 2012
- Principal and Teacher Evaluation Training
The link is now live and available in each educator’s personal ECS account if they were designated by their district superintendent, director of the career center or special education cooperative to be able to take either the Teacher Evaluation Training or the Principal Evaluation Training or both. Participants should enter their personal ECS account, click on the top link which says, “You can select for Principal and/or Teacher Evaluation Training.” This will take the person to the registration form for Growth Through Learning Illinois. Once registration is completed and submitted, the participant will be provided a link to enter the preliminary module, which is not a required module, but definitely worthwhile to review before starting.
Any questions or technical issues should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Teacher and Principal Evaluation Important Training Information Update - July 11, 2012
- Study Guides
- Growth Through Learning Help Line: 1-800-416-9734
To help address all of your questions and concerns we are providing a call in number. Please leave a detailed message and include your name, phone number and e-mail address. Your call will be returned as soon as possible.
- Technical Assistance Information for Teacher Evaluation Training and/or Principal Evaluation Training
Having computer or network trouble? We have technical documentation to help you solve your problems.
- Principal and teacher evaluation reminder
For those doing teacher evaluations, one must meet the following requirements after Sept. 1, 2012:
Before doing an observation of teachers, one must complete modules 1-3.
Before doing an evaluation that does not include growth, one must complete modules 1-4.
Before doing an evaluation that includes growth, one must complete modules 1-5.
For those doing principal or assistant principal evaluation, one must meet the following requirements after Sept. 1, 2012:
Before doing an observation of principals, one must complete modules 1-3.
Before doing an evaluation of principals or assistant principals, one must complete modules 1-5.
- Module 2 Reduction in the Mandatory Wait Period Before Retesting (8/17/12)
- Growth Through Learning PowerPoint Presentation (3/12)
- Illinois Principal and Teacher Evaluation Training Program PowerPoint Presentation - CEC Partnership Group (2/12)
- Overview of Teacher Leader Effectiveness PDF Format (10/12)
- PEAC Proposed Rules and General Information (1/12)
- PEAC Strategic Plan for 2012-2013 PDF Format (10/12)
- Principal & Teacher Evaluation in Illinois: Past, Present & Future (8/11)
Note: This is a full compilation of slides regarding PERA/PEAC for use by PEAC Members. It is a continuously updated document. The user of the slides is encouraged to choose the slides that are appropriate for each specific use rather than using all of the slides with every audience.
For more information regarding use of presentation slides by nonmembers of PEAC, please contact Vicki Phillips at Illinois State Board of Education, email@example.com.
- Teacher Rating Definitions: Options for Illinois (3/12)
- Transforming Educator Evaluations in Illinois - General Overview PDF Format (10/12)
Webinar and Video Archive
- PARCC Presentation Webinar—Monday, February 11, 2013
Dan Long, PARCC Coordinator, presents a webinar, specifically for PEAC members and interested parties, regarding an explanation of the PARCC assessment system. Includes Q & A Session.
- Transforming Educator Evaluations in Illinois Webinar—May 9, 2012
Presented by Vicki Phillips, Interim Director of the Educator and School Development Division and hosted by the Division of Innovation and Improvement, this webinar will explain the Performance and Evaluation Reform Act as it pertains specifically to Cohort 1, 2, and 3 – SIG 1003(g) School Improvement Grant recipients.
- Advance Illinois Making Teacher Evaluations Meaningful Video Presentations—April 17, 2012
- PEAC Teacher and Principal Evaluation Webinar—April 11, 2012
A webinar to provide registration information to District Superintendents and technical support for District IT Personnel who might be supporting district evaluators engaged in the training and covered topics related to:
Beginning in September 2012, all principals must be evaluated every year by a trained, pre-qualified evaluator. Like teachers, principals’ evaluations will now incorporate measures of student academic growth. Also similar to teachers, principals will be rated using clearly defined standards of effective practice and excellent school leadership.
- PEAC Illinois State Model for Principal Evaluation PDF Format (Posted 2/12)
- DuPage County ROE Principal Evaluation Forms
- Growth Through Learning Performance Evaluation Communication Documents (8/12)
- IPA and IASA Principal Evaluation Resources
- Module 1 Reference Guide: Understanding The State Requirements for Principal Evaluation
Download for use when:•Preparing for training •During training •Participating in the assessment.
- Online Practical Guide to Designing Comprehensive Principal Evaluation Systems (8/12)
- PEAC Sample Forms
Want more information? Check out the FAQ page.
State law requires school districts to create and implement performance evaluation systems to measure teachers’ and principals’ skills while factoring in student academic growth. Over the next five years, district administrators and teachers’ union representatives will have the ability to work together to develop their own measures or decide to use all or part of the state’s default/optional model.
The new, more objective systems will clearly define professional excellence, using observation and evidence to rate teachers in one of the four categories: Excellent • Proficient • Needs Improvement • Unsatisfactory
- Growth Through Learning Performance Evaluation Communication Documents (8/12)
- Online Practical Guide to Designing Comprehensive Teacher Evaluation Systems (8/12)
- Module 1 Participant Guidebook: "Understand" Teacher Practice
Download for use when: Preparing for training • During training • Participating in the assessment.
Special Education Resources
Student Learning Objectives (SLO's)
- Analysis of Key Elements of SLO Practice in Leading States
- Measuring Student Achievement in Non-‐Tested Grades and Subjects: Approaches, Issues, and Options for DCPS
- Student Learning Objectives: An Emerging Framework PowerPoint Presentation
Want more information? Check out the FAQs page.
- Admistrative Rules for Part 50 (Evaluation of Certified Employees)
- PERA Mandatory Board Training
Board member training that satisfies Section 10-16a of the Illinois School Code (added by Public Act 097-0008) is available via the Illinois Association of School Board's Online Learning Center. Senate Bill 7 authorizes ISAB to conduct this mandatory training and additional providers may be approved by ISBE (in consultation with IASB) for this training in the future. Additional information and course information is available at on the IASB website, http://www.iasb.com/.
- Additional Reading is available at http://www.k12center.org/archives.html
- Alignment of the Illinois Performance Standards for School Leaders with the 2008 Interstate School Leaders Licensure Consortium Standards and the National Board Standards for Accomplished Principals
- "Approaches and Considerations for Incorporating Student Performance Results from "Non-Tested" Grades and Subjects Into Educator Effectiveness Determinations" (Buckley, K. & Marion, S. September 2011)
- "A Survey of Approaches Used to Evaluate Educators in Non-Tested Grades and Subjects" (Buckley, K. & Marion, S. June 2011)
- Current Efforts in Developing Principal Performance Evaluation Frameworks in Illinois
- Daily Herald News Article: "Dist. 211's new teacher evaluation system" - By Ashok Selvam 8/27/10
- "Design Of An Assessment System For The Race To The Top: A Learning Sciences Perspective On Issues Of Growth And Measurement" Policy Brief (Pellegrino, J. W. 2010)
- Educator Performance Evaluation Resources - With Special Focus on Special Educators (NCCTQ) 2012
- Exploratory Seminar: Measurement Challenges Within the Race to the Top Agenda December 2009 Responses to Session 1: Measuring Growth - Policy Brief
- "Final Report on the Evaluation of the Growth Model Pilot Project," January 2011
- Framework for Teaching (FfT) Proficiency Test: Test Design and Scoring - Teachscape, July, 2012
- Goe, Dr. Laura: Conversation with the PEAC Teacher Evalution System Design Subcommittee Slide Presentation: October 27, 2011
- "Growth In Student Achievement: Issues Of Measurement, Longitudinal Data Analysis, and Accountability" Policy Brief (Betebenner, D.A., & Linn, R. L. 2010)
- IEA PERA Information Flier
- Illinois Performance Standards for School Leaders - Draft January 2012
- Illinois Professional Teaching Standards - 2010
- IMPACT Conference Summary
- "Incorporating Student Performance Measures into Teacher Evaluation Systems" by Jennifer L. Steele, Laura S. Hamilton, and Brian M. Stecher
- Leadership Development Framework - Ohio Leadership Advisory Council
- "Learning About Teaching" Met project/Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation December 2010
- National Implications
- New Leaders for New Schools - Balancing Accountability With Professional Growth
- North Carolina Standards for School Administrators - "Future-Ready Students for the 21st Century" - 2006
- Performance Expectations and Indicators for Education Leaders - CCSSO
- Principal Evaluation Process - Public Schools for North Carolina/State Board of Education
- Principal Evaluation Rubrics
- Problems with the Use of Student Test Scores to Evaluate Teachers - EPI Briefing Paper
- Rethinking Teacher Evaluation Policy Brief - Consortium on Chicago School Research
- Teacher and Principal Evaluation Survey Results
- Teacher and Principal Evaluation Talk Points
- Teacher Evaluation 2.0 - The New Teacher Project
- Teacher Evaluation Model or Framework & PEAC
- The 8 Roles of School Leaders School Level Assessment – Georgia Leadership Institute for School Improvement
- Understanding and Using Achievement Growth Data - CCSSO, 2011
- “Using Student Growth to Evaluate Educators of Students With Disabilities: Issues, Challenges, and Next Steps” - Summary, CCSSO, 2012
- Using Student Progress to Evaluate Teachers: A Primer on Value-Added Models
- Value-Added Research Center (VARC- UW-Madison) Comments on PEAC Teacher Evalution System Design Subcommittee Questions (October 2011)
- "When the Stakes Are High, Can We Rely on Value-Added?" by Dan Goldhaber - December 2010
- Framework for Teaching (FtT) Proficiency Test: Test Design and Scoring Information - Teachscape, July 2012 - Move to Teacher/Prin Training
- Request for Information (RFI): Evaluator Pre-Qualification Program & Evaluator Training Program (2/11)
Please see our most current News under the What's New? tab, which we'll update continually.