The Those Who Excel Awards Program annually recognizes and honors people who have made outstanding contributions to public and nonpublic elementary and secondary education. A selection committee comprised of representatives of statewide education organizations is convened in early summer to evaluate and score the nominations.
Nominees and their administrators will be notified by mail in late summer about their application results.
Three types of awards are given:
- Award of Excellence
- Award of Meritorious Service
- Award of Special Recognition
This year's program has seven nomination categories:
- classroom teacher (certified)
- educational service personnel (noncertificated)
- early career educator
- school administrator
- school board member/community volunteer
- student support personnel (certificated)
Only one nomination per category, per district will be accepted; except in Chicago School District 299 where multiple nominations are allowed.
The Illinois Teacher of the Year is selected from among the Award of Excellence winners in the Classroom Teacher category. The Teacher of the Year will serve as an Ambassador for Teaching. He or she may conduct workshops and speak to education and civic organizations and will serve as an advisor to the State Board and the State Superintendent.
The Illinois Teacher of the Year receives a lifetime tuition waiver at state universities. In addition, the Illinois Teacher of the Year competes in the National Teacher of the Year Program sponsored by the ING Foundation and Target. It is a project of the Council of Chief State School Officers (CCSSO) in partership with University of Phoenix and People to People Ambassador Programs.
Those Who Excel Banquet
Saturday, October 19, 2013
Marriott Bloomington-Normal Conference Center
201 Broadway Avenue
Advance banquet reservation forms will be sent to all nominees, nominators, school district superintendents, regional superintendents and other interested parties.
Due DateNominations submitted to the State Board of Education must be postmarked by Monday, June 3, 2013.
download the packets ). The groupings are:
- Nomination Packet A—Student Support Personnel; Educational Service Personnel; School Board Member/Community Volunteer
- Nomination Packet B—Classroom Teacher; School Administrator, or Early Career Educator
- Nomination Packet C—Team
If you have any questions about the program, contact Public Information at 217/782-4648.
Those Who Excel Award 2012-13 Press Release Archive
- High School English Teacher Named 2013 Illinois Teacher of the Year
The Illinois State Board of Education named high school English teacher Brian W. Curtin as the 2013 Illinois Teacher of the Year
- ISBE to honor Those Who Excel in education at annual banquet in Normal
- Twilight Parade Grand Marshals Chosen
Two award-winning teachers have been selected as grand marshals of this year’s Illinois State Fair Twilight Parade.
- ISBE Announces Finalists for Illinois Teacher of the Year