40th annual Illinois State Board of Education Those Who Excel/Illinois Teacher of the Year Program
The Those Who Excel Awards Program annually recognizes and honors people who have made outstanding contributions to public and nonpublic elementary and secondary education. A selection committee comprised of representatives of statewide education organizations is convened in early summer to evaluate and score the nominations.
Nominees and their administrators will be notified by mail in late summer about their application results.
Three types of awards are given:
- Award of Excellence
- Award of Meritorious Service
- Award of Special Recognition
This year's program has seven nomination categories:
- classroom teacher (licensed)
- educational service personnel (unlicensed)
- early career educator
- school administrator
- school board member/community volunteer
- student support personnel (certificated)
Only one nomination per category, per district will be accepted; except in Chicago School District 299 where multiple nominations are allowed.
The Illinois Teacher of the Year is selected from among the Award of Excellence winners in the Classroom Teacher category. The Teacher of the Year will serve as an ambassador for teaching. He or she may conduct workshops and speak to education and civic organizations.
The Illinois Teacher of the Year receives a lifetime tuition waiver at one of seven state universities. In addition, the Illinois Teacher of the Year competes in the National Teacher of the Year Program. The program is a project of the Council of Chief State School Officers (CCSSO) in partership with ING US and People to People Ambassador Programs.
Those Who Excel Banquet
Saturday, October 25, 2014
Marriott Bloomington-Normal Conference Center
201 Broadway Ave.
Advance banquet reservation forms will be sent to all nominees, school district superintendents, regional superintendents and other interested parties.
Due Date Nominations submitted to the State Board of Education must be postmarked by Monday, June 9, 2014.
download the packets ). The groupings are:
- Nomination Packet A — Student Support Personnel; Educational Service Personnel; School Board Member/Community Volunteer
- Nomination Packet B — Classroom Teacher; School Administrator, Early Career Educator
- Nomination Packet C — Team
If you have any questions about the program, contact ISBE's Public Information Division at (217) 782-4648.
Those Who Excel Award 2013-14 Press Release Archive
- Illinois State Board of Education Announces the 2014 Illinois Teacher of the Year
Second Grade Teacher Pam Reilly of Woodbury Elementary School in Sandwich CUSD 430 Selected From 11 Finalists
- ISBE honors top educators and school personnel at annual Those Who Excel banquet in Normal
- ISBE Announces Finalists for Illinois Teacher of the Year