|Labor/Legal Specialist (#1525)|
|Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.|
|Open Until Filled|
This position performs duties relating to the monitoring and processing of grievances, disciplinary matters, and internal/external investigations/complaints; counsels and assists managerial staff in grievances and in the discipline of staff; provides support for negotiation of collective bargaining agreements; serves as contact for interns/fellows; supports educator misconduct team in the legal department as described below. This position reports to the Director of Labor Relations in the Legal department.
- Maintains a tracking system for grievances and disciplinary actions.
- Arranges and schedules grievance and disciplinary hearings.
- Counsels, trains and assists management personnel as relates to grievance and disciplinary procedures.
- Assists managers in developing responses to employee grievances and notices of predisciplinary hearings/actions.
- Schedules and participates as needed in arbitration hearings.
- Assists legal staff in providing documentation as requested.
- Supports educator misconduct team in Legal department, including preparing legal documents.
- Reviews responses to legal documents such as subpoenas.
- Researches criminal records.
- Assists with teams docketing, calendaring, and tracking systems.
- Makes phones calls as requested by attorneys.
- Coordinates/facilitates reporting and compliance regarding the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), and Illinois Department of Human Rights (IDHR) responsibilities.
- Researches and provides information and support for negotiation of collective bargaining agreements.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Master's Degree in Administration (Business or Public), Human Resource Management, Labor Relations, or paralegal training or a Bachelor's Degree in one of the listed fields plus two years of relevant professional experience. (COPY OF TRANSCRIPTS REQUIRED AT TIME OF APPLICATION)
- Two years of progressively responsible professional experience in an office environment involving legal, labor relations, and/or disciplinary matters.
- Ability to draft labor relations (grievance) related correspondence and reports.
- Ability to handle/interact effectively with management and union representatives.
- Ability to organize and maintain legal and/or disciplinary files.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills.
- Legal, paralegal, or human resources experience.
- Experience in the processing/administration of grievance and disciplinary issues preferred.
- Experience in negotiation of labor agreements.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the theories and concepts of labor relations and/or collective bargaining.
- Knowledge of labor statutes and policies.