|Communications Specialist (Prinicipal Consultant #1728)|
|Springfield or Chicago|
|Policy & Communications|
|Lane 4 – Minimum Salary $3,946|
|Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.|
|February 19, 2020|
|Open Until Filled|
Reporting to the Director, supports the Agency’s engagement with schools, stakeholders, and media. This position balances day-to-day public relations with the planning and execution of longer-term campaigns. Responsibilities include media relations, strong writing across a variety of platforms, email marketing and contact management, social media, event planning, and digital content production. This position collaborates with departments across the Agency as part of a dynamic policy and communications team. This position contributes creative thinking and leadership at a pivotal moment for public education in Illinois.
- Performs fundamental media relations tasks, such as drafting press releases, providing accurate responses to reporter inquiries in a timely manner, staffing media interviews, and coordinating media calls.
- Writes and edits talking points, speeches, reports, blogs, and other content.
- Utilizes the Agency’s email marketing and contact management tools to engage and inform the Agency’s audiences.
- Produces high-quality social media and digital content, such as videos, infographics, tweets, Facebook posts, and webpages, in partnership with website, video, and graphic design team.
- Plans and staff events, requiring some travel to other locations within Illinois.
- Supports overall communications strategy and efforts to advance the Agency’s issue campaigns.
- Tracks the success and impact of deliverables.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree.
- (COPY OF TRANSCRIPTS REQUIRED AT TIME OF APPLICATION)
- Two years of work experience in public relations or communications.
- Experience must include media relations and the utilization of email marketing tools.
- Excellent writing ability through multiple vehicles such as press releases, reports, web content, or blog posts. (3 WRITING SAMPLES MUST BE SUBMITTED WITH APPLICATION MATERIALS.)
- Ability to understand complex topics and distill them into concise and accessible language.
- Ability to understand and think critically about data and policy ability to manage multiple projects at once.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, and exhibit ownership over projects.
- Ability to collaborate and work effectively on teams.
- Excellent oral communication skills and ability to deliver talking points on the phone and in person.
- Interest in expanding skill-sets and working with new tools and platforms.
- Proficiency in Microsoft word and PowerPoint.
- Master's Degree.
- Experience with the utilization of Microsoft Dynamics and ClickDimensions.
- Fluency in Spanish.