|Assistant Legal Counsel - Student Care Department (Assistant Legal Counsel #1762, 1763)|
|Springfield or Chicago|
|$59,220 - $85,000|
|Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.|
|September 25, 2020|
|Open Until Filled|
Attorney will report to General Counsel/Legal Officer and provide support to the Student Care Department including, but not limited to, restraint/time out, student discipline/exclusion, student social/emotional health. Areas covered by Student Care Department are required by statute and address aspects of education that are fundamental to educational equity.
- Analyzes, reviews, and investigates potential violations of the school code pertaining to student care and safety.
- Addresses legal issues connected to restraint/time out.
- Addresses matters pertaining to student discipline, including suspension and expulsion.
- Reviews complaints pertaining to school resource officers.
- Makes recommendations to ISBE and schools pertaining to school health issues, including pandemic preparedness.
- Prepares determinations and recommendations to the Superintendent of Education pertaining to hearings and investigations, in accordance with the purpose and intent of the Illinois School Code.
- Works with ISBE staff within Student Care Department on department initiatives.
- Communicates with families, students (as appropriate), school personnel, regional office of education personnel, and attorneys (internal and external special counsel).
- Provides statutory, regulatory, and policy recommendations and guidance regarding school code.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Graduation from accredited law school.
- Licensed to practice law in Illinois. (COPY OF TRANSCRIPTS AND LICENSE REQUIRED AT TIME OF APPLICATION)
- Strong skills in written and verbal communications.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Suite.
- Ability to function both independently and within a team.
- Familiarity with Illinois Administrative Rules and the Illinois School Code.
- Two years of experience working as a licensed attorney.