|Web Developer (Principal Consultant #867)|
|Springfield or Chicago|
|Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.|
|December 20, 2021|
|Open Until Filled|
In order to safeguard the health and safety of its employees (and those with whom its employees come into contact), the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE or Agency) requires that all of its employees, with certain exceptions, must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by November 15, 2021. View ISBE's COVID-19 Vaccination Policy and the FAQs on this policy.
ISBE is looking for experienced talent to add to our Software Solutions team! This position will work collaboratively with program and software solutions staff to build sophisticated web applications and maintain those systems. This is an opportunity for an experienced web developer to design, develop and implement software solutions and bring innovation to an education data systems environment and make recommendations on the use of new and emerging technologies. This position functions under general supervision and reports to a Supervisor.
- Involved throughout the entire project lifecycle including concept and design, prototyping, development, production, quality assurance and testing, deployment and maintenance of sophisticated web based systems following best practices and development standards, guidelines and documentation.
- Develops web based computer applications to improve operations, increase efficiency and serve districts, educators and students.
- Assists in gathering requirements and project specifications and converts requirements into technical specifications for small to medium sized projects.
- Collaborates with business partners and strategic vendors to deliver cost effective, timely and customer-focused solutions.
- Engages with business analysts and stakeholders to understand functional requirements, and contributes to the completion of functional specifications, preparing and delivering informative, well-organized presentations and project status reviews to process owners, customers and stakeholders.
- Maintains existing web-based production systems.
- Analyzes and resolves production problems in a timely manner.
- Resolves end user service requests as assigned.
- Maintains business systems standards by applying software development, project management methods, tools and processes as standard practice.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology (IT) or Computer Science plus two years of IT experience or coursework in the last five years, or, a Bachelor's Degree in any field plus three years of IT experience or coursework in the last five years, or, an Associate's Degree in any field plus four years of IT experience or coursework in the last seven years. (COPY OF TRANSCRIPTS REQUIRED AT TIME OF APPLICATION)
- Demonstrated experience with the following technical skills: VB.NET, C# or ASP.NET (at least two), and Microsoft SQL Server.
- Knowledge of IT concepts, principles, and theories.
- Strong written and oral communications skills.
- Ability to work in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Ability to quickly pick up new tools and technologies.
- Ability to facilitate meetings and follow up with resulting action items.
- Ability to work independently on issues and projects and to participate cooperatively on group projects.
- Strong analytical, critical thinking, and problem solving skills.
- Experience with programming architecture such as Model, View, Controller (MVC).
- Experience with reporting languages such as SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) or Crystal Reports.