|Media Coordinator (Principal Consultant #1299)|
|Springfield or Chicago|
|$55,251 - $69,821|
|$55,251 - $94,029|
|Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.|
|October 3, 2022|
|Open Until Filled|
Reporting to the Director, supports the agency's engagement with media, balancing day-to-day media relations with the planning and execution of longer term campaigns. This position is part of a dynamic communications team that works collaboratively across departments at the agency and with stakeholders. This position responds promptly to incoming media inquiries about a range of topics, develops positive relationships with reporters, supports agency leads in conducting media interviews by developing talking points and staffing interviews, drafts press releases, and thinks proactively about pitches. This position also supports general communications planning, utilizes the agency's mass email service provider to distribute communications, and contributes to the agency's social media presence. The ideal candidate has a zest for placing positive stories about public education. The ideal candidate can understand complex topics and distill them into concise and accessible language. The ideal candidate thinks critically about data and policy, can anticipate the questions reporters might ask, and demonstrates a keen sense of newsworthiness. The ideal candidate is skilled at writing and crafting messaging. The ideal candidate is highly organized and can manage multiple projects at once, meet deadlines, work independently, and collaborate effectively. The ideal candidates excels with both written and verbal communication.
- Performs fundamental media relations functions, including drafting press releases, working with agency data and program staff to produce responses to inquiries from reporters, drafting talking points and preparing agency leadership to speak to press, and coordinating media interviews and events.
- Proactively collaborates with departments across the agency to support communications/public relations department leadership in maintaining an editorial calendar.
- Drafts press releases in partnership with agency data and program staff to promote agency programs and initiatives.
- Proactively plans and executes follow-up pitches.
- Contributes to ISBE's three social media platforms -- LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter.
- Prepares daily media clips and provides media reports as needed to the Governor's Office, Board, and Senior ISBE staff.
- Contributes to overall communications campaign planning and tracking of deliverables and impact.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree. (COPY OF TRANSCRIPTS REQUIRED AT TIME OF APPLICATION)
- Two years of work and/or internship experience in public relations or communications.
- Must submit two writing samples with application: 1) one press release and 2) either one set of talking points/remarks/speechwriting or a blog post or op-ed.
- Experience conducting media relations.
- Experience in public education-related field.
ISBE provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. We actively foster a culture of inclusion and encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply.
Illinois has an urgent and collective responsibility to achieve educational equity by ensuring that all policies, programs, and practices affirm the strengths that each and every child brings within their diverse backgrounds and life experiences, and by delivering the comprehensive supports, programs, and educational opportunities they need to succeed.