Integrating family engagement efforts with learning and healthy development is important to achieving positive student outcomes. Multiple opportunities exist for districts and schools to partner with families which include but are not limited to:
- promoting academic, physical, social, emotional, behavioral development and a positive school climate;
- engaging and re-engaging learners; and
- addressing barriers to learning.
Family engagement efforts should be integrated and/or supported across all areas of school including: comprehensive planning, curriculum, instruction, assessment, leadership, conditions for learning, and professional development.
Family engagement also occurs at home and in the community. Families are supporting learning and healthy development in a variety of ways, including but not limited to:
- showing they value learning and healthy development;
- monitoring/assisting with homework completion;
- exposing their children to a variety of learning opportunities (e.g., educational camps, public libraries, museums);
- providing nurturing relationships;
- establishing routines; and
- maintaining expectations.