Parent Training and Information Centers (PTIs) are authorized in Part D of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and are funded by the U. S. Department of Education, Office of Special Education Programs. Each PTI is mandated to assist parents to-
- better understand the nature of their children's disabilities and their educational and developmental needs;
- communicate effectively with personnel responsible for providing special education, early intervention, and related services;
- participate in decisionmaking processes and the development of individualized education programs (IEPs) under Part B and individualized family service plans under Part C;
- obtain appropriate information about the range of options, programs, services, and resources available to assist children with disabilities and their families;
- understand the provision of IDEA for the education of, and the provision of early intervention services to, children with disabilities; and
- participate in school reform activities.
Illinois is divided into two regions:
Region 1 includes the following counties: Cook, DuPage, Grundy, Kane, Kendall, Lake, McHenry, Will
Family Resource Center on Disabilities
20 E. Jackson Blvd., Room 300
Chicago, IL 60604
312-939-3513 voice / 312-939-3519 TTY & TDY
800-952-4199 IL only
Region 2 includes the remainder of the state
This page has been archived. The content on this page may no longer be in effect.