Parent Training and Information Centers (PTIs) are authorized in Part D of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and are funded by the U. S. Department of Education, Office of Special Education Programs. Each PTI is mandated to assist parents to-
- better understand the nature of their children's disabilities and their educational and developmental needs;
- communicate effectively with personnel responsible for providing special education, early intervention, and related services;
- participate in decisionmaking processes and the development of individualized education programs (IEPs) under Part B and individualized family service plans under Part C;
- obtain appropriate information about the range of options, programs, services, and resources available to assist children with disabilities and their families;
- understand the provision of IDEA for the education of, and the provision of early intervention services to, children with disabilities; and
- participate in school reform activities.
Illinois is divided into two regions: