The Title I, Part A Section 1112 under Elementary and Secondary Act (ESEA), as amended by the Every Student Succeeds Act
(ESSA), et.seq.,requires that all local educational agencies (LEAs) who receive Title I funds develop a
Title I District Plan. The Title I District Plan lays out the educational objectives for the district. These objectives, in turn, serve as goals for the use of funds in the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) application. The purpose of this document is to assist districts in preparing plans and to assist Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) staff in approving those plans.
ESSA requires that all districts receiving Title I federal funding must have an approved Title I District Plan on file. This plan describes how the district will improve gaps related to low-income and minority students being taught at higher rates than other students by inexperienced, out-of-field, or ineffective teachers.
ESSA consolidated grant applications may not be approved until the Title I District Plan is on file and approved by the Illinois State Board of Education.
ISBE has developed a Title I District Plan User Guide which includes instructions for completing the Title I District Plan. The plan will be submitted through the
ISBE Web Application Security (IWAS) site. The Title I District Plan and this accompanying guide should be used together to ensure that users include all requirements of state and federal law, Section 1112 of the ESSA, in the Title I local educational plans.
Prior Title I District plans are archived in the Interactive Illinois Record Card (e-Plan system) at
To retrieve IIRC archived Title 1 District Plans:
- Log into IIRC
- Click "Rising Star" on the dashboard
- On the next page:
- "Choose" drop down menu; select "All Districts"
- A selection in the middle drop down is not required
- Select a District” drop down menu; select the district
- Once both menus are selected, click "GO"
- On the district homepage, select "Returning Users"
- "Rising Star District Dashboard" – population of district information
- District Continuous Improvement Plan should be selected at the top of the page, if not, select it now
- Click "District Achieve (Retired Plans)" link at the very bottom of this page
- A drop down list of available plans should appear
- Select "Title I Plan" (you may need to click on this more than one time)
- A chart showing the plan will appear; click on the PDF icon under view
- Download and view achieved plan