Illinois School Code (105 ILCS 5/27-20/4) requires that every public elementary and high school shall include in its curriculum a unit of instruction studying the events of Black History, including the history of the African slave trade, slavery in America, and the vestiges of slavery in this country. House Resolution 1098 establishes the Black History Curriculum Task Force which will conduct an audit of every Illinois school district's history curriculum from K-12 to review the following:
1. Does the district's curricular material, no matter the format, contain a current unit on African American history;
2. At what grade school level does the district begin teaching African American history;
3. At what level does the district stop teaching African American history;
4. Does standardized testing include testing on African American history, and if so, at what levels; and
5. What is ISBE's position on teaching African American history, what are their protocols, and what are their penalties if their instructions are not being followed?
Please answer the questions below to aid in this study.
NOTE: "*" indicates a required question. You will not be able to submit the survey without providing answers to the required questions.