Sections 10-20.47 and 34-18.38 of the School Code [105 ILCS 5/10-20.47 and 5/34-18.38] require school districts to report administrator and teacher salary and benefits to the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE):
- “Each school board shall report to the State Board of Education, on or before October 1 of each year, the base salary and benefits of the district superintendent [or the general superintendent of schools or chief executive officer] and all administrators and teachers employed by the school district. For the purposes of this Section, “benefits” includes without limitation vacation days, sick days, bonuses, annuities, and retirement enhancements.
Prior to this annual reporting to the State Board of Education, the information must be presented at a regular school board meeting, subject to applicable notice requirements, and then posted on the Internet website of the school district, if any.”
For school years 2010 and 2011, the deadline in statute for districts to report was July 1. Public Act 97-0256 subsequently amended the School Code to 1) incorporate October 1 as the new reporting deadline and 2) add requirements for the information to be presented at a regular school board meeting and then posted on the district’s website. The changes were effective January 1, 2012, so districts were required to comply starting with data to be reported for school year 2012.
For school years 2010, 2011, and 2012, districts were required to submit to ISBE the following data for each individual employed as an administrator and/or teacher during the school year.
- Name: Legal last name, first name, and middle name
- Position: Main position, i.e., District Administrator, Other Administrator, or Teacher
- Title: Title for main position (optional)
- Base Salary: Dollar amount of base salary for all positions combined
- FTE (Full-Time Equivalency): FTE for all positions combined, counted in hundredths
- Vacation Days: Number of vacation days awarded this school year
- Sick Days: Number of sick days awarded this school year
- Bonuses: Dollar value of bonuses
- Annuities: Dollar value of employer-provided qualified and nonqualified annuities
- Retirement Enhancements: Dollar value of employer-provided retirement enhancements
- Other Benefits: Dollar value of other benefits provided by employer