{{CurrentPage.Topics.DisplayName}} {{CurrentPage.Subtopic_x0020_Level_x0020_1}}


The State Board of Education does not issue birth certificates or State IDs.

Birth Certificates​​​

Copies of Birth Certificates of children born in the State of Illinois may be obtained from the Illinois Department of Public Health - Vital Records and in possibly less time from the county registrar where children were born, within the following guidelines: Birth Records are not public records and only the following are entitled to receive certified copies:

  • The per named on the record if 18 years or older.
  • The parent(s) shown on the record.
  • A legal guardian or legal representative of the child. Written evidence of guardianship or legal representation is required

County Access to Birth Certificates: Birth certificates can be obtained from the Illinois County of Birth Records Registrar more quickly that from the Department of Public Health Vital Records Office. Each County registrar's office will require specific instructions and requirements to obtain a birth record.

State Access to Birth Certificates: Birth records can be obtained online, by mail, fax, and in person from the Illinois Department of Public Health - Vital Records, 605 West Jefferson St. Springfield, Illinois 62702-5097 217-782-6553. View IDPH's website to learn how to obtain a birth certificate.

In Person: In-person orders using the application for search of birth record files can be dropped off for mail out within two business days at the Illinois Department of Public Health, Division of Vital Records office, 605 W. Jefferson St., Springfield, on Monday through Friday from 8:30a.m. to 4:00p.m., excluding holidays. PLEASE NOTE: the person requesting the record will be asked to show a valid​ picture identification card.​

State IDs​​​

A person qualifies for the no-fee identification card, if he or she is considered homeless as defined by the federal McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act, 42 U.S.C. 11302 or 42 U.S.C. 11434a(2). This card is issued free of charge with the proper documentation to show proof of legal name, date of birth, social security number, and signature. The individual must also bring a completed Homeless Status Certification which must be filled out by a homeless service provider or an attorney.


* * * This page has been archived. The content on this page may no longer be in effect. * * *

Contact Information