Educators who maintain an Illinois educator license in retired status are exempt from professional development and registration fees. To update your professional development status to retired, please refer to our guide:
How to Update Professional Development/Employment Status.
To put a license in retired status, educators must complete two steps on or before August 31 of last year of the five-year renewal cycle in which they retire.
- Educators must change their professional development (PD)/employment status in ELIS to retired, beginning with the first full semester following retirement.
- Educators must complete and record the amount of professional development required for the number of semesters worked during the renewal cycle in which they retire.
Failure to complete either of the steps above will result in a lapsed license on September 1 following the end of the five-year cycle in which the educator retired.
Current Reinstatement Requirements
- Complete and record all outstanding professional development,
- Pay all applicable back registration fees, and
- One of the following:
- 9 semester hours of college coursework, or
- Payment of a $50 reinstatement fee.