Thank you for your interest in the Educational Surrogate Parent Program!
By volunteering as an educational surrogate parent, they become an important member of a team in determining and ensuring a child receives a free and appropriate public education. The educational surrogate parent must:
- Complete the entire training
- Pass the training exam, and
- Complete and pass a background check
ISBE works with the parent training and information center, Family Matters, to recruit and train new ESPs. If you are interested in volunteering as an ESP, please email email@example.com with your information, including phone number and address.
What are the Responsibilities:
- Learns about the student’s educational needs by getting acquainted with the student, communicating with personnel involved in the student’s education and/or care, and observing the student at school;
- Acts as the student’s advocate for educational matters;
- Provides or withholds consent for assessment and services/placement;
- Attends educational meetings on the student’s behalf;
- Works with school staff to develop an Individualized Education Program (IEP) for the student;
- Negotiates for appropriate services on behalf of the student;
- Abides by the laws of confidentiality when sharing information about the student;
- Requests complaint, mediation or due process procedures, if necessary.
- Reports services twice a year (also basis for reimbursement)