*View a list of acceptable courses you may take to fulfill this coursework requirements.
The following test scores may be accepted for the test of basic skills:
- ACT: Prior to 9/1/15 - Composite score of 22 with combined English/Writing score of 19 -OR- 9/1/15 and later - Composite score of 22 with Writing score of 16 - OR - 9/10/16 and later - Composite score of 22 with Writing score of 6
- SAT: Prior to 3/5/16 - Composite score of 1030 (mathematics and critical reading) with a minimum writing score of 450 -OR- 3/5/16 and later - Composite score of 1110 (evidence-based reading and writing + mathematics = 1110 or higher) and a minimum score of 26 on writing and language
- Out-of-state test of basic skills that led to licensure in another state
The information is accurate at this time (note date below). Applicants will be held to the most current statutory and administrative rule requirements.
***Middle School endorsements (valid for grades 5-8 on a license endorsed for elementary education or grades 6-8 on a license endorsed for secondary education) may be added if additional coursework requirements are met. View the Middle School and Middle Grades to see the content coursework and middle school professional coursework required.
****If the edTPA
has been passed as part of a teacher preparation program in another state, have official scores sent to ISBE and use form
80-01A: Out-of-State Applicant Verification of EdTPA.
If the edTPA
has not been passed at the time of application, one of the below options may be utilized:
- If the educator meets the requirements for the provisional license (ELS-PEDU) and this license is issued, the educator may complete the edTPA while teaching on this license.
- The educator can enroll in the student teaching portion of an educator preparation program and complete the edTPA during this time.
- The educator can provide evidence with his/her application of having at least one year of full-time teaching experience and having achieved a "proficient" or higher (or equivalent) rating on his/her most recent performance evaluation. Use form
80-01: Out-of-State Applicant Request to Waive EdTPA.
This information is accurate at the date posted below. Applicants will be held to the most current statutory and administrative rule requirements.
If you do not have a major on an official transcript in Early Childhood Education or Elementary Education, the suggested coursework acceptable to fulfill the 32 hour constructed major includes the following:
Early Childhood: history and philosophy of early childhood education, child growth and development, language acquisition and development, early childhood assessment, early childhood methods, primary level teaching methods, and a child, family, and community course.
Elementary: elementary reading methods, elementary reading assessment, elementary content area reading,children's literature, elementary math methods, elementary science methods, elementary social science methods, a general elementary methods course, child growth and development, adolescent psychology, and history and philosophyof education.