This approval allows the holder to serve K-12 students with the following disabilities, regardless of the teaching license held: learning disabilities, social emotional disorders, mental retardation, physical disabilities, autism, and traumatic brain injuries.
- Hold an Illinois Professional Educator License (PEL) endorsed for teaching or an Educator License with Stipulations (ELS) endorsed as a Transitional Bilingual Educator (TBE).
- ISBE Form 73-86:
- Educator's plan of study identifying coursework to be completed to qualify for the LBS I endorsement within the three-year validity period of the short-term emergency approval (Please Note: This LBS I endorsement would only be valid for the grade range of the educator's teaching license at the time of issuance)
- Statement of assurance that supervision will be provided by an individual who holds one the following:
- general administrative, superintendent, or principal or general supervisory and LBS I (PK-21) endorsement
- Director of Special Education endorsement
- an LBS I (PK-21) supervisory endorsement
Statement of Assurance that the school district has exhausted all recruitment efforts and have been unable to secure the services of an individual who is appropriately licensed for the teaching position in question
Verification of the educator's plan to enroll in the coursework specified leading to an endorsement as a LBS I and that the plan, can be completed within the three-year period allotted to this approval
- Name, IEIN (Illinois Educator Identification Number), and credentials of supervisor required
Documentation to be provided by the applicant:
- Your school district and regional superintendent must sign the form and send us the form directly or to the regional office to be official.
- Official transcripts showing completion of coursework in survey of exceptional children and at least one of the other three areas of coursework required for the LBS I approval
Three-year validity period starts immediately and is valid for three full fiscal years.
Before this approval expires, the educator should obtain the LBS I PK-21 endorsement or the LBS I endorsement within the grade range of the educator’s teaching license. If you already hold an LBS I endorsement or approval, you may apply for this approval to expand your grade range.
Will not be issued after June 30, 2023.