The Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) will again partner with UChicago Impact to administer the Illinois 5Essentials Survey this year. Teachers, students, and parents will be able to complete the survey Nov. 15, 2018, through Jan. 17, 2019
. Starting in school
year 2018-19, statute
requires all districts to administer a climate and culture survey annually. Districts may elect to administer one of three approved alternate surveys and can do so by filling out the online form and submitting a signed letter of intent. The deadline to notify ISBE of a district’s participation in an approved alternative survey is September 12, 2018
. The 5Essentials Survey provides school districts with detailed data on school culture and climate by inquiring into five critical areas for school improvement. The data from the survey will also be published on
the Illinois State Report Card .
Make sure that your educator and student information is correctly updated in the appropriate systems by November 1, 2018. The data required for rostering students, teachers, and staff will be pulled from the Student Information System (SIS) and the Employment Information System (EIS), respectively. A number of enhancements and improvements are rolling out for the 2018-19 school year:
- ISBE has automated the process by which districts designate a survey coordinator or indicate participation in an approved alternate survey.
- We will be rolling out the fourth- and fifth-grade survey statewide.
- The Early Childhood survey or Early Ed Essentials will be incorporated into the statewide administration.
- The parent survey will be made available for administration sooner, opening up in mid-October!
- UChicago Impact launched a new data reporting site/tool .
- Professional learning and development around understanding the research behind the survey, data usage, and improvement efforts are being collaboratively developed with stakeholders to build capacity around improving school climate and culture.
- Data will be available to disaggregate based on student population group, starting with the 2017-18 school year data.
More information about the survey will be released in the next couple of weeks. Please stay tuned to the 5Essentials webpage and to the Superintendent's Weekly Message.
For questions regarding the survey, please call Safe and Healthy Climate – Regulatory Support and Wellness at (217) 524-4832 or email 5Essentials@isbe.net
The 5Essentials Indicators
The Illinois 5 Essentials Survey identifies five indicators that lead to important student outcomes, including improved attendance and larger test score gains.
The five indicators that positively affect school success are:
- Effective Leaders
- Collaborative Teachers
- Involved Families
- Supportive Environments
- Ambitious Instruction
Research derived from the Five Essentials for School Success has proven that schools strong on at least 3 of the 5Essentials are 10 times more likely to improve student outcomes.
Approved Alternate Surveys
Survey Usage for Continuous Improvement
This page has been archived. The content on this page may no longer be in effect.