Calculating your discount
ISBE submits the National School Lunch Program (NSLP) list
Seamless Summer Option Meal Eligibility to the Schools and Library Division (SLD) of the Universal Service Administrative Company (USAC) annually as the official state NSLP report. This list includes Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) figures. E-rate applicants using CEP information MUST use the information provided in the NSLP list.
E-rate applicants that participate in the NSLP program do have the ability to use NSLP figures outside of the official state listing. For example when reviewing NSLP claims information from September – February, an applicant finds the best percentages for the district occurs in December. The applicant can use December information, but will need to keep a copy of the claims report for third party verification (described in the NSLP or Enrollment Verification Section).
Applicants are advised NOT to combine information from multiple reports. For example, don’t use the enrollment numbers from the state verified NSLP report and free/reduced numbers from a January claims report. Nor should an applicant use enrollment numbers from the Fall Enrollment Counts information and the free/reduced numbers from the NSLP report.
NSLP or Enrollment Verification
When an E-rate applicant’s enrollment or NSLP information doesn’t match the information found within the ISBE NSLP report https://www.isbe.net/Pages/Seamless-Summer-Option-Meal-Eligibility.aspx, USAC’s Program Integrity Assurance (PIA) Auditors will ask applicants to obtain third party verification from the E-rate State Coordinator for Schools at ISBE. ISBE will use the options below to provide this verification for
Category 1 Options for NSLP Verification:
- NSLP report found on the
Child Nutrition Data Analytics and Mapping Tools page.
- NSLP claims report. If the district chooses to use NSLP numbers from a month outside of the official NSLP list. Claim reports should be within the E-rate application timeframe. E-rate applications submitted in the 2018-2019 school year should use claims submitted in September through March of the 2018-2019 school year.
Category 1 Options for Enrollment Verification:
Category 2 Options for Enrollment Verification:
- Fall Enrollment Counts information found at
Fall Enrollment Counts. (ISBE will report on the K-12 column.)
- Full time student enrollment change. An ISBE SIS report showing enrollment numbers that differ from the Fall Enrollment Counts may be used as long as the timeframe is within the E-rate application timeframe. E-rate applications submitted in the 2018-2018 school year should use reports from September through March of the 2018-2019 school year.
- “Peak Part Time Students.” An email submitted to the State E-rate Coordinator for Schools from the principal of the school in question indicating the number of “peak part time students.” The principal must include their title in the email and must use the same email found in Entity Profile System (EPS). Please see the USAC example defining “peak part time students” in the Counting Part Time Students section of
Inputs Category-2 Budget Calculation.
If a school does not participate in NSLP, ISBE can
NOT verify the school’s survey results. ISBE will only verify enrollment using the Fall Enrollment Counts.
To obtain third party verification for NSLP or student enrollment, send an email to the State E-rate Coordinator for Schools, Erich Grauke at
email@example.com or call (217) 782-0354. Include the following information in the email:
- A copy of the request from PIA.
- Any additional report used for NSLP or enrollment information.
If the PIA request or report used are not included, your verification will be delayed until the information is submitted. Please allow 3-5 days for verification response.
Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) Third Party Verification
ISBE does include Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) information within the NSLP spreadsheet that is submitted to USAC. If the applicant uses the CEP option in their application, only use the numbers found within the NSLP spreadsheet.
If an E-rate applicant receives a third party verification request for CEP Base Year information, please send a copy of the PIA request to Erich Grauke at
. Please allow 3-5 days for verification response.
Non-Public School Verifications
Non-public school applicants should contact Erich Grauke via email
with a copy of the PIA request. He will contact you with the options available to non-public schools.