Thank you for your interest in becoming a sponsor or in expanding your participation in the School Nutrition Programs (SNP)! SNP includes the following meal or milk programs:
School Year 2021-22 Special Announcement
In order to assist schools in serving meals during the COVID-19 emergency and as schools' transition back to full in-person instruction, the U.S. Department of Agriculture has allowed for a modification to traditional participation in the School Nutrition Programs. During the 2021-22 School Year, the USDA will allow for schools to participate in the Seamless Summer Option (SSO) instead of the National School Lunch Program and School Breakfast Program during the regular school year. Traditionally, the SSO program can only be operated during breaks in the school year, for example during a school's summer break. The largest benefit this provides is that meals that meet the meal pattern requirements can be provided to all students at no charge.
Some schools that were not previously in the School Nutrition Programs did participate in the Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) during the 20-21 School Year. If you are one of those schools, you may be curious about the differences between these programs. We have developed a comparison chart to assist schools that are not familiar with the programs. We recommend you review the comparison chart and then if you would like to apply for any of the SSO programs please utilize the checklist below that matches what you would like to do for the 2021-2022 School Year.
Please note that the following types of organizations are eligible to be School Food Authorities (SFAs) in the School Nutrition Programs, specifically the NSLP, SBP and SSO programs. If your organization type is not listed, unfortunately, you are not eligible.
- Public School Districts
- Charter Schools
- Registered Non-Public Schools
- Public or Licensed Residential Child Care Institutions (RCCI)
Once you have determined that you are eligible to participate, please read through the different scenarios below or view chart and select the checklist that fits your situation. If you have questions about which option is for you please reach out to our staff at
- If your sponsor/SFA has participated in just the Illinois Free Breakfast, Illinois Free Lunch and/or Special Milk Program in the last 2 years (SY20-21 or SY19-20) but did not participate in NSLP and your school wishes to add the NSLP or the SSO Program for SY21-22 then you can apply using
- If your sponsor/SFA DID participate in the Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) for the 20-21 School Year, but has either never been in any School Nutrition Program (NSLP, SBP, IL Free breakfast or lunch and/or Special Milk) or it has been greater than 2 years (prior to the 19-20SY) since you have been in any School Nutrition Program and would like to apply for either the NSLP or the SSO program for SY21-22 then please use
- If your sponsor/SFA has never been in any School Nutrition Program (NSLP, SBP, IL Free breakfast or lunch and/or Special Milk) or it has been greater than 2 years (prior to the 19-20SY) since you have been in any School Nutrition Program and you were NOT in the Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) for SY20-21 please use