News and Updates
Save the Date!
2020 Career Connections Conference
Chicago: March 2-3, 2020
Springfield: March 4-5, 2020
Carbondale: March 9-10, 2020
Conference Registration is open.
In a response to the growing needs for high-quality CTE programs, Career Connections 2020 will deliver three multi-disciplinary regional conferences throughout the state focusing on three overarching goals:
- Improvement of instruction
- Better alignment to core academics
- Enhanced connections to career and postsecondary opportunities
Integral features of the conference will include hands-on and innovative learning opportunities that highlight various components of interdisciplinary education accentuated through CTE, including exploratory sessions, networking opportunities, industry-led partnerships, student showcases, educator recognition, apprenticeship programs. The conference will feature keynote speaker Andrew McPeak of Growing Leaders: Ready for Real Life, who will address the expectations, identity and attitudes of Generation Z and how instructors can teach and empower the emerging generation. In addition, the conference will include breakout sessions around three main themes: equity, outreach and integration of core academics.
For more information or to share conference information, please view the
2020 Career Connections Conference flyer.
The application to present at the 2020 Career Connections Conference will close on 2/2/2020.
CTE Program Data Review and Local Needs Assessment/Comprehensive Local Needs Assessment Systems in IWAS
To receive state or federal secondary career and technical education (CTE) funding for FY 2021 and beyond, all local funding recipients must complete a Comprehensive Local Needs Assessment (CLNA) as REQUIRED by the Strengthening Career and Technical Education for the 21st Century Act (Perkins V). The CLNA will be a three-step process: 1) Program Data Review (PDR), 2) Local Needs Assessment (LNA), and 3) CLNA.
ISBE will open the PDR in IWAS on Thursday, January 9, 2020. The LNA/CLNA combined system in IWAS will open on Thursday, January 16, 2020. All three components – PDR, LNA, and CLNA – should be completed by mid-April 2020 in order to submit a local application (grant). The tentative release date for the fiscal year 2021 state and federal CTE local application/grants is May 1, 2020.
REMEMBER: Local applications will not be approved unless the CLNA process is complete.
- For assistance in completing the PDR application, please use the Support Document and the Terms and Definitions document. These documents will also be available in the PDR application.
- If you need to work through the PDR application on paper before accessing the IWAS system, you can use the paper templates for Size, Scope, and Quality AND Professional Learning.
- Local Needs Assessment and Comprehensive Needs Assessment guidance documents and tools
- All IWAS access levels granted for the CTE Program of Study Approval system will be transferred over into these 2 systems – PDR and LNA/CLNA.
Please view this UPDATED needs assessment and local application timeline for important deadlines.(Updated 1/9/20)
- All schools in a district must complete the PDR before the LNA application will open,
- All school district/area career centers/region centers must complete the LNA before the CLNA application will open, and
- All EFEs must complete and submit to ISBE the CLNA in order to complete the state and federal CTE local application/grants.
If you have questions, please contact ISBE’s CTE and Innovation Department at
firstname.lastname@example.org or (217) 524-4832.
Join us for the 90th Annual IACTE Conference on February 13-14, 2020, at the Bloomington Normal Marriott Hotel and Conference Center.
Registration is Now Open!
Registration for the 90th Annual IACTE Conference,
Building Careers for 90 Years!, is now open. This conference is an excellent professional development event geared toward career and technical educators.