{{CurrentPage.Topics.DisplayName}} {{CurrentPage.Subtopic_x0020_Level_x0020_1}}


The Multilingual Department offers information for teachers who are teaching or interested in learning more about teaching English Learners. Included on this page are the requirements to add the ESL and/or Bilingual endorsements to a Professional Educator License. Information on licenses with Stipulations such as the ELS-TBE and Visiting International Teacher (VIT) can be found on this page.

ISBE offers Professional Development to any educator who supports English Learners. Many offerings are at no cost to the district or educator. Literacy Squared is offered as an annual cohort for K-5 teachers of dual language classes that includes strategies to reinforce biliteracy. WIDA workshops are flexible and available virtually or in person and cover a variety of topics. Please see below for more information on these topics.​

 PreK - 12 Bilingual and ESL Matrix

 Teachers Recruitment and Licensure

​Resources listed here support educators and administrators serving English Learners

Early Childhood Program Directors & English Learner Program Directors

Short-Term Approval for Bilingual/ESL Endorsement

​Educators with at least nine credit hours toward a Bilingual or an ESL Endorsement or who have successfully passed the content or language tests associated with the endorsement may submit Form 73-96 to request a short-term approval from ISBE. If approved, the endorsement will be added to the educator’s Professional Educator License for a period of three years. The educator will have three years to complete all missing requirements to keep the ESL or Bilingual Endorsement. This short-term approval is non-renewable.

Educator License with Stipulations

Resources for Students Interested in Teaching

Exchange Visitor Program

* * * This page has been archived. The content on this page may no longer be in effect. * * *

Contact Information